In this module, your child will be learning these core skills:
Would you like to know how to support your child with this module?
You're in the right place!
The short, one minute video below explains how your child is learning these skills and some fun ways you can encourage their development at home. Select the 'Lesson Content and Learning Targets' tab at the bottom of the page for a full breakdown of what they'll be covering in each lesson.
Have fun! We hope you enjoy these activities with your child.
Ideas for home
- Create different stories with your child that can be represented with an expression. For example, the expression 5 (1.2 + 2.4) matches the story, "I swim for 1.2 miles in the morning, and 2.4 miles in the afternoon. I do this 5 days a week."
- Look for real-world situations where an expression can be solved by using the order of operations. Expressions include a mix of operations. The order of operations tells the sequence in which the operations are to be completed.
- Perform any operation inside parentheses. If more than one pair of grouping symbols are involved, start with the innermost grouping symbol.
- Calculate any products that involve exponents.
- Working left to right, multiply of divide pairs of numbers.
- Working left to right, add or subtract pairs of numbers.
- Have your child estimate the total cost of purchases that include dollars and cents. For example, "What is the cost of 15 pints of juice at $3.80 a pint?" Your child can use written calculations or a calculator to confirm their estimate.