In this module, your child will be learning two core skills:
Are you looking for ways to support your child with this module?
You're in the right place!
Below we have put together a short, 1 minute video explaining how your child is learning these skills and some fun ways you can encourage their development at home. If you're interested in exactly what they'll be covering in each lesson, click on the 'Lesson Content and Learning Targets' tab at the bottom of the page for a full breakdown.
Have fun! We hope you enjoy these activities with your child.
Ideas for Home
- Count small sets of objects e.g. toys, blocks or cookies.
- Show fingers in different combinations. Ask 'How many fingers are up?" Then ask "How many more to make ten?" (Hint: We can count fingers that are down.")
- Set out random numbers of pennies and ask "How many are there?How do you know?" Listen for strategies other than"I counted". e.g. I see 2 and 2 and that is 4".
- Compare two teen quantities and ask which is more and which is less (e.g. is 15 cents more or less than 18 cents? How do you know?)
- Practice ordinal numbers (e.g. first, second, third) by using numeric order. e.g say "First ut out the plates. Second, put out the cups, then third, put out the napkins," or ask questions such as, "Which book is the sixth on the shelf."